Grilled Halloumi Cheese in Vine Leaves
Ingredients: (serves 6)
- 2 packages / 14 slices halloumi cheese
- 14 fresh or jarred vine leaves
- Virgin olive oil
- Sweet chilli sauce
Halloumi is a traditional Cypriot cheese known in Turkish as “hellim peyniri”.
- Rinse to remove the salt from the cheese.
- Cut cheese into 14 slices and soak in warm water for 2-3 hours.
- Wash the vine leaves in warm water. If you’re using wine leaves from a jar, soak away the brine in warm water for 4-5 hours. For fresh leaves, blanch in salty water for about 15 seconds.
- Rinse and pat dry cheese and vine leaves.
- Place vine leaves on a clean surface and place a slice of cheese in the center of each one. Gather up the edges of each leaf to form a rectangular package.
- Brush both sides with olive oil.
- Grill on the barbeque or in a char-grill pan until you see the grill marks on the leaves.
- Drizzle with chilli sauce and serve immediately before the cheese hardens.